4.06.2007

Thank you for calling...

I'm staying away from the boring minor, real, details of my life in the attempts to provide you with moderate entertainment. Today I would like to bring you an anecdote from my current income management solution...aka job. For this to make sense I suppose I should acquaint you with the fact that I work for a web development and design company, as it is relevant to this story.

I answered the phone at 12:18pm [yes, I answer phones]. There was a congenial gentleman on the line who identified himself as Chris from some place or other, but for the lack of enunciation I don't know where he was from. The conversation continued somewhat in this manner:

Chris: Hi, I'm looking at a site, ******.com, and I would like to speak with the owner of the site.
Me [confused]: ....Well the owner would be that company.
Chris: What do you mean?
Me: We designed the site but it belongs to the client ******.com.
Chris: Oh, so you're an SCO company?
Me [still confused]: I'm sorry, a what?
Chris: An SCO, a search engine optimization company.
Me [thinking, that doesn't spell SCO...]: Oh, no. We are a web development company so we design the websites but the clients have paid for them.
Chris: Web development...I almost studied that in school. Is that pretty good, can you make a lot of money doing that?
Me [perplexed]: ...well it's in pretty high demand nowadays. I suppose it depends on your area though.
Chris: Oh, yeah. I suppose your major and area of expertise would make a difference.
Me [perplexed and now slightly amused]: Well I meant which region of the country you live in and how many jobs are available, but I suppose that would make a difference too.
Chris: Yeah, my firm up here in Washington is by Microsoft so that's gotta be pretty good.
Me: ....
Chris: So you don't own this site then? Who could I contact?
Me [back to the point...if there was one]: There should be a phone number on the site itself.
Chris: I can't find one. Are you looking at the site now?
Me [opening another tab and typing in ******.com]: I am now [are you?!]. There is a menu on the left hand side of the page with a "Contact Us" tab. If you click on that you will see their address and phone number.
Chris: I still don't...oh, is that it? ***-***-****?
Me: Yes, that would appear to be their phone number.
Chris: Well thanks so much, you have a great day!
Me [slightly in shock at the surreality...if that's a word]: Thanks, you too [hangs up].

I immediately stood up and went to tell the story to my coworkers because...WTF?! At least he was polite.

No comments: